Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after discovering yesterday that my dog had a bacterial infection, this morning I woke up to find he had vomited a pair of unchewed,, non-digested, underwear. Apparently swallowed whole? Nothing else in the vomit except a tiny bit of bile.

Again, no fever; doesn't appear to be in pain, no swelling in his belly, much less fatigued today. Really, really wants to eat.

This dog is 5 years old. Why in the world is he suddenly eating things in the past few months, that he knows he's not supposed to, when he hasn't done that since he was a pup?

I really wish I could take him to an emergency vet, but I don't qualify for Care Credit, and I have no savings left after his other recent indiscretions. I could swear he's either trying to kill himself or drive me insane... perhaps both.

<End Rant> But seriously if you have any ideas as to whether this is a behavior or medical condition (eating things he shouldn't be) please let me know.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Aww well ... sadly not only do I believe it ... but I kinda expected it to continue. But know maybe ... this time ... it won't happen again?? Yeah ... it doesn't really work like that with dogs.

There is some long fancy term for dogs that eat ... stuff but know that term ... is not gonna fix your issue! Unless you up your game ... your gonna lose your dog! You have two viable options establish proper "Rules/Structure and Limitations and possibly that behavior will self extinguish???

That option would look like this and it involves Crate Training the Dog, Training Place and a no free roaming in the house policy! Indoors he is either in Place and or in Place! You can't control him ... if you don't where he is what he is doing! The very long explaination of that ... Looks like this.:
9 mo old is aggressive with our 5 year old smaller dog?? HELP - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

It's alot of stuff but basically your dog is out of control ...not enough rules not enough structure ... he is free to make "Poor Choices." So you have to make better choices for him!

That would be plan a Plan B ... address the issue directly and "Punish him" for making "Poor Choices"' And eating anything that he just happens to find or digs out is a pretty dog killing choice! This crap ... will not stand dog! Set him up ... and "punish him hard if he goes for it!" When done properly ... that is a # second fix!!

Two options a no cost "Bonker" or an "E-Collar!" and a "Behavior Modification" protocol! It does take skill to train a dog properly with an E-Collar ... but to "Stop a Behavior cold, not so much! Rattle Snake avoidance training ... set the bait, set the collar on it's highest setting ... the dog goes for the bait and hold the bottom down for two to three seconds ... problem solved! He won't do that ... again!

That looks like this ... :

I don't play ... I don't give Victoria Principle type advise ... if a dog is doing something that will get them killed! You best believe ... I will stop that "Crap Cold and right freaking now!!!" Make better choices dog! Is how I roll, no apologies. Or you know ... do something else ... but if you get it wrong ... you may not have a dog to train???

ANd the "Bonker" well that is pretty much a "Zero Cost" option. Again you'd set the dog up and you'd nail him in the freaking head with a "Bonker!" The details on that option are in the first thread but to make it simple ... see here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/behavioral-issues/182569-stopping-unwanted-behavior-bonkers.html

So that is gonna be my advise or ... for a lot less than the cost of surgery, you could set up a Skype session with Jeff Gellman ... or contact him on FB and this year he is doing free 15 minuet Skype Sessions "SolidK9Training" :
https://www.facebook.com/Solid-K9-Training-140229622668254/

My Boxer taught me how to train Dogs ... my GSD taught me that sometimes ...

If you allow this crap to continue ... you may not have a dog to train! Do some reading and thinking and then ... ask questions. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
He ate it probably because he had an upset. Be thankful it came up! My girls will eat whatever they can get their mouths on if they feel sick. Grass, socks, torn pieces of blankets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You make some good points, Chip18 ~

I switched jobs and now work 10 hr days vs 8, which eliminated 1 of our 3 daily walks and while he has a large crate, he's a large dog, so there's not quite enough room for his blanket, pillow AND a water bowl. So, yes, he has been free to wander the house during the day. I honestly felt I was doing a good job of keeping things put up. The dirty laundry basket is kept pretty high up and all clean clothes are kept in closed closets and drawers. Obviously, I slipped up!

The plan is now to keep him crated again when I am at work or outside. He will cry pitifully when I leave, but he'll live...

When I am home, he is by my side, always. To the extent it's a bit annoying; I haven't showered or used the bathroom alone in 5 yrs! :crazyeye:

I no longer let him outside unattended, but he is amazing on walks; I am simply going to have to get up earlier and get his morning jog in before work. He's really very well behaved. He never dawdles to sniff or eat grass, or even pees on anyone else's lawn! I get complimented all the time by strangers on how nicely he stays by my side, and sits when people walk past (even people with other dogs!)

I think his problem stems mainly from boredom, and he'll just have to be bored in his crate from now on. Much safer that way.

Oh, and bonus! He just had a nice formed poop! :cheers:

Thanks for your honest advise! And Thanks to you as well, Kaco Boxers! I guess I'll never know if it was the chicken or the egg, but definitely thankful he threw it up!!!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
OK ... so your dog is not ... wild and totally out of control. Eating grass is no big deal, all of my dogs would eat grass on occasion, it settles an up,set stomach is what I heard?? Cows eat grass I think, don't know as I'm not a farmer but eating grass is not gonna kill them. So I didn't care. They also had tons of stuffed toys and they would rip them to shreds and scatter the stuffing everywhere! But ... they never ate that crap, if they did it would have meant no more stuffed toys ... end of story!

Dogs lives are short enough ... especially Bully breeds apparently. And I simply will not allow mine, to engage in any behavior that would shorten there time with me. So if I have to make several seconds of there lives ... pretty freaking miserable to keep them from "making poor choices" ... then that is what is going to happen! My dogs ... don't eat non food items ... period ... end of discussion. If they "chose" to ... there would have been "consequences" ... make better choices dog, is how I roll. And that included my "fur baby" Struddell! She got away with a lot of crap ... but she also understood where the lines were drawn ... it worked out fine.

At any rate, since it came up ... I looked it up. Dogs that eat non food items is called "Pica" and yes ... it does seem to stem from boredom.

Stop your dog from eating rocks, socks and other non-food items

Most likely ... that seems like pretty reasonable advise??? The thing is per usual it avoids "consequences" for the dog making "poor choices" and eating "non food items" is a "poor choice!" Make better choices dog or there will be "consequences!" Redirect, treat or no treat ... is not a "consequence."

Now that said ...no less than William Kholer (Kholer Method of Dog Training) says that with proper training a bad behavior ... could self extinguish??? Well .... he would know. :)

The pieces to accomplish that are in those links ... and I'll break it down for you tomorrow, but your dog has been engaging in this crap for awhile it sounds like??? And I think sending him a crystal clear message by "punishing him/correction" will help him to make better choices! I'm also not a fan of constantly "baby sitting my dogs to keep them from doing something stupid!" The best preparation for the unexpected ... is a well trained dog! Been there done that worked out fine.

But it seems that other than the sock crap your dog sounds well behaved ... put in a bit more effort, let him know "clearly" what is and is not acceptable ... and you might not need to keep him confined while you are out ... that would be the goal, more tomorrow.

Oh and congrads on the firmed up poops! :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Mamadoodlebug ... I kinda messed up and forgot to say .... that none of us is perfect! Yes I got the train your dog to make good choices part ... blab,blab,blab but I did not explain exactly why??? And that would be because, sometimes despite our best efforts ...."crap happens!"

To explain .... I'm about as seriously anal with Rocky and people as one can get and he has "proven" to be not much of a fan of toddlers ...under carefully controlled conditions! But still ... this happened.:

German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Breed differences in "socialization"

I did not train "walk away" but I did train him how I expect him to behave around people, when I am with him But what to do when I'm not there and he is confronted by a toddler ... he chose to walk away! I did not train that ... it was his call ...no Dad on deck as it were. That's what I was trying to say.

And congrats on the Crate Training, that is an excellent start! But I know you don't want to keep him crated for 8 to 10 hours. I can simply ... all that stuff for you but it's still good background.

And I got a Plan B for the make "Good Choices Dog" ... just in case thing. And ... It's much cheaper than surgery. Just wanted to say that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts