Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a boxer named zeus which is 1 yr and a couple of months old and also a german shephard who is the same age. Zeus got attacked by a Husky when he was 8 months old at a dog park in the parking lot and ever since then he hasnt been the same. if he sees another dog other than Dante (german shephard) he goes ballistic. he will stare and growl because he still remembers that day. Today i took them to a park near my house and while i was walking them on by the pond Zeus had seen a duck and tried to go after it but i had him on a leash so he didnt get to far. since he couldnt get the duck he turned around and lunged at Dante. And they got into a scruffle. This is not the first time though. Neither one of them are neutered. And Zeus gets jealous if i pet Dante and starts to get upset. I was wondering if i got Zeus neutered would it calm down his testosterone enough to where he wont act like this. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hey and welcome to the forum. All dogs are different and I know that neutering him is suppose to calm him down. I've never heard some one say it didn't... but how much is the question...? I think it would be well worth it if you did.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Honestly... It has nothing to do with being neutered.. Toby does the exact same thing and when I'm walking my boyfriend's pitbull and he sees other dogs or small animals that he can't go after (aka being held back by the leash), he turns and basically goes after Sid out of frustration. Thats all it really is.. It's called redirected aggression.. I would correct it now.. On the bulldog forum I'm on, someone had to rehome their dog with a trainerbecause he had this problem and took a chunk out of his owners hand.. I walk Toby in a head halti (gentle leader) that way I have complete control of his head.. If we're alone I only use a prong because he isnt as prone to get hyped up about stuff .. And Toby too was attacked which triggered this aggression.. It kills me but I deal with it as it comes..

·
Registered
302 Posts
You don't neuter a dog for behavior problems.  Training is the answer, not neutering.  Some folks seem to think if you neuter a dog, that's a problem-solver.  You neuter to prevent unwanted breeding, not behavior modification.

I'd take him to training classes, get a gentle leader leash (as Flutterby mentioned) and look up info on this subject to retrain trouble making dogs.  Neutering isn't a magic cure-all.

My 2-cents anyways... but what do I know?  :doh:

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have to disagree with Odin's Dad - neutering is certainly not a catch-all situation and can't replace training as a behaviour modification tool, but it can and does reduce aggression in dogs.

Regardless of his aggression, though, both dogs should be neutered anyway.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am very much a proponent of having your dogs fixed unless you are a reputable breeder, Neutering a male may or may not fix the issues. I think it's got to be both really..Neueter your dogs and train them proper behavior.  A lot of people are under the impression that once a male is neutered all bad habits will just suddenly go away, that's not the case. A lot of the issues that you have prior to a neuter will still be there and in Zeus's case, his sounds like a behavior problem really. It also sounds like Zeus might have a very strong prey drive which needs to be addressed..Angel is that way, every little thing she sees, be it a bird, a squirrel, you name it, she has to go after it, but she's never turned on Samson tho..That could be pure frustration, which is why a good trainer might be the answer..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Honeyec... I'm not saying don't neuter dogs, I'm saying don't neuter dogs thinking it's a behavior fixer.

A lot of people are under the impression that once a male is neutered all bad habits will just suddenly go away, that's not the case. A lot of the issues that you have prior to a neuter will still be there and in Zeus's case, his sounds like a behavior problem really.
What Samsonsmom says is true... you still need to address the behavior issue whether or not you neuter... neutering is not a fix-all... you neuter for the purpose of neutering, you train for behavior issues... they are two seperate issues.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think I agree with odin's dad. Neutering your dog doesn't fix any problems, but it sure will prevent any accidental litters.

Aggression isn't because he's still intact, a good round of training will help that, I'm sure.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Toby has been neutered since he was 4 months old. All of his redirected aggression problems started at about a year old. I honestly believe in neutering but it doesn't help everything.

Try taking Zues out alone and see his reaction. Toby's was so bad at one point that he would turn around and try to grab the handle of the leash so I'd let go, or he'd jump up and down and do back flips almost. It was crazy! After a few months, he's calmed down quite a bit. He gets on alert and prances in a way and I find that a lot more acceptable than taking it out on someone or something. Do a lot of the training alone until you get to a point where he isn't acting out (if he is doing it alone as well) and then slowly work Dante back into the mix.

My old yorkie use to really set Toby off by just growling at other dogs (you know small dog bravado! lol) and he'd trigger into the "I'm going to get them first mode" and flip out. Right before she was gone, I could walk them at the same time without incident.. I'm going to be working on it mega time with him before Mia comes home.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I agree with what most have said. Keep in mind that neutering will help slightly, but will not solve the problem. I think it is a great idead to see how Zeus is on a walk by himself. I also think some sort of behavior training will be a help!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to all of your suggestions. i do know that neutering him wouldnt take away all of his issues but maybe some. i just wanted to hear your voices before doing this. i am going to be looking for some behavioral training. he is my first boxer and he is a lot of work. i think i will take him out again today and see how he does alone. and maybe go and get another leash because right now he has a harness. thanks for the suggestions again. i will see how it goes for me and him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts