Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks you guys for telling me to get a Halti. I picked one up for him and he is doing so much better now that he is used to it. He didnt like it at first but he isnt bothered by it anymore. Matter of fact im getting one for Dante tomorrow. I have taken him to the park everyday and walking him with it and Dante goes with us now. There were a few people walking there dogs and before they got to me i would put him on his back (submissive). To show him that a dog wasnt going to be like that Husky a while back. He saw some ducks today and started staring while he was walking and i pulled the leash so he wouldnt lose concentration and he left it alone. I am trying to find what would be best as for training classes would be because i want more behavioral than like commands. Hes not the best but he listens to me for the most part. If you have any suggestions about behavioral classes please let me know because i did think about like petco or something because there are dogs in there that we can try to socialize him with. I will update again sometime soon, thanks guys im glad i got on this boxer forum it has helped alot.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so glad to hear that the Halti helped you..Some dogs respond well, some don't..I have a friend who's boxer has some huge issues and the Halti was what worked the best for her...Keeping his concentration on you is key, you might want to carry a small bag of treats with you also to help with that. Or if he has a favorite toy, esp if it squeaks, might want to carry it..

I've probably said this in another thread, but I've had both good & bad results with Petsmart training classes..My recomendation is go and observe a class, watch the trainer, see how they work with the dogs. Talk to them afterwards and explain what your situation is...I did that with Samson and luckily I had a very good trainer, she worked with me before or after class to help with a couple issues....Since yours also is a behavior thing I would recomend a finding a behaviourist. Here's a link that you can check out and then if something is in your area, go talk them, see how they run their classes. Are they familiar with boxers? Get referrals...

http://www.apdt.com/
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/behaviorists.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts