Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Socrates
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vaccine Vasculitis?
My beautiful young Boxer had a reaction to his rabies vaccine and now has permanent alopecia at the injection site. I didn’t even know this was a thing. A little spot presented right around the time he was altered and I beat myself up not knowing where he sustained an insult to his beautiful coat. When the hair grew back over his IV shave but the spot on his shoulder continued to grow I was more and more confused and alarmed. Four months later at a routine vet appointment the tech finally confirmed that the location was where his rabies vaccine was given. No one said anything about this possibility and apparently while quite rare is still a possibility. Of the four Boxers we have raised in our family and the hundreds I have met, never have I encountered one with a big bald spot from a vaccine. I’d love to knowing there’s anyone else out there who has had this experience or can empathise with my frustration sadness and anger. This is a permanent NOT beauty spot. I’m trying to spread the word about ZOETIS. Check the manufacturer of your first or next rabies vaccine and make sure you known the risks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have not ever had this problem with a rabies shot. I did have one of my dogs have a reaction to the Lepto vaccine so I don’t get that one anymore. Another thing Boxer owners need to watch for is Ace when surgical procedures are done. What is the prognosis for your dog ever growing hair over the area is it permanent?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Is this a new thing, giving rabies shots in the shoulder? I have had many dogs and they all got their rabies shot on the rear leg, upper thigh. Never had a reaction, just a lump that would go down after a couple weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts