Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know I have Said It Alot, But I Cannot Begin To Thank You All Of The Boxer Forum Enough For Your Prayers, Support, Assistance and Information

Zuri did not have parvo, but there was obviously something wrong with her, but thankfully, we can finally continue on the road to her recovery!

My main concern now with her is getting an already on the thin side pup back to a normal weight.

Here is the additional info regarding how shes doing:

> During the morning, Zuri continued to show signs of improvement with less and less periods of lethargy and more and more interest in eating! She continued to play for periods of a half hour or so after each time i woke her up to either medicate her or give her the cubes. She still goes right back to napping (which was more than what im used to seeing in the few weeks ive had her) but I think that is just related to the 24 hour fast shes been on and maybe even a little boredom.

> The vet advised me to conitnue giving her the 2cc of Metoclopramide three times a day until its all gone and to start giving her small portions of a bland food three times a day for two days increasing the amount little by little. On the third day he said I could then mix it with her food to get her back on her regular feeding schedule and build up her strength. I have already given her a small amount of white rice and boiled hamburg which he devoured, and I gave her a small amount of gatoraide for good measure.

> After feeding her I had to leave for a quick appointment, but she cried when I left her alone (which is new behavior to me). When I came back home about 40 mins later I discovered she moved her bowels, but to my horror and disgust she ate it! 8O  I didnt get to see what the stool looked like, just the color was good and I am assuming it was soft bc of the stain left behind on the puppy pad!

> Since being back home she has been back to her old self, demanding much love and attention and playing with her toys! BEST STILL... she is no longer favoring her paw as much as before and I think that in time she will be fine with that so long as I be sure to keep an eye on its improvement.

Now...
As far as food, I had taken her off an unknown holistic feed the breeder had given me to take home with her. I was unable to get the same brand and decided to go with Eukanuba puppy large breed. This is what I have to fight with her to eat! She didnt show much interest in it for the first few days and I  decided to try wetting it with some water and then warming it for good measure. She had just started to get into her feeding schedule and put on a lil weight when the illness came up. So now I feel I am back to square one with getting her to a healthy weight and diet.

I have never owned a boxer and have learned a lot about the breed before I rescued her and will continue to from this site! I read that they do have sensitive stomachs and I am wondering if anyone has ever given this brand of food to their dogs and if so, any thoughts on it.

I cant forget to mention I had given her some of the pumpkin and she almost licked a hole in her bowl trying to eat it all, lol :lol: .

Well sorry it took so long for me to get back to you all but im sure you understand I havent had much sleep and probably still wont for awhile unitl I know my baby Zuri is to 100%. Shes doing great, her spirits are up and now so are mine :D !

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I just got done reading your first posts (sorry, I got a little behind) and I  want to welcome you and beautiful Zuri to the forums! Just wanted to applaud you for rescuing  her and being such a wonderful mommy. When I read your post about Zuri possibly having Parvo, my heart sank..So happy to hear she is making progress and she doesn't have it!  She will be in my thoughts and prayers  :)     I know how it feels to not get any sleep..I just went thru a scare with Chloe and I don't think I slept much at all until I knew she was going to be okay.     Chloe is sending tons of get better kisses to Zuri.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Zuri is doing better!! Glad she likes the pumpkin, Sadie LOVES it too! Have you tried mixing a bit of wet food in to her kibble as well? We've tried this with Sadie and she gobbles it up very quickly..she can't get enough of the stuff.  :p This may help with getting Zuri to eat more...just a suggestion, I am new to this as well! Anyway thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear it's not parvo as I'm sure you are. Keep your spirits up, she sounds like she is on the road to recovery! Kisses from Sadie are coming her way  :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing so well! What a relief 8) my dogs are on a lamb and rice food...and that includes about a tablespoon of canned lamb and rice mixed with a touch of pumpkin(more or less depending on what the little goats have gotten into that might upset their tummy or cause a noticable change in stools) they love the pumpkin, too...I have found they eat a whole lot better on my recipe then when Daddy tries to feed them dry food(just once, when I was out of town) they didn't eat as well...just yesterday they got a treat at the local coffee place and sure enough, Mic had trouble...I've added a bit more pumpkin today and his stools firmed right back up!  Oh, the ups and downs of mommyhood! ;) I am not new to boxers, as our family has 10 throughout the different branches living here locally...but, these are MY first boxerbabies...it makes a huge difference...I can't tell you how hard it is for me to even think about letting either of them go overnight for neutering...I hate for them to be afraid! :cry:

Thanks for the update...lookin forward to more Zuri pics and stories!

Hugs to you both(and sloppy boy kisses)
Jeanene

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad to hear that Zuri is on the road to recovery.  Now that she is in a good home where she has someone who loves her as much as you do I am sure she will flourish.

I got Kiah as a rescue at 8.5 month, she was already on an adult food so I don't know anything about puppy foods but others will.  Kiah does have a very sensitive stomach so we are on the search for a good food for her.  We are trying a salmon and brown rice formula now and keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChloeBellesMommy, Thanks for coming in to reply, and welcoming us to this great site! So tough when we have to go thru these things, but I am greatful to have a great groups of people and Boxers behind us all the way!
SadiesMomma, LOL! I almost got a fright to how fast she ate it! Dont want anything to come back up! I didnt want to give her canned food and become reliant on it, but if it will help her put on some weight then I am up for all options! Any suggestions on canned food thats good for a sensitive boxer pups tummy?
MicnIndysMom, The lamb and rice sounds like a good idea, what brand? Also, does anyone know if the Eukanuba dry food im giving her now is any good? After I switched her over and started getting her on the regular eating of just the dry food, she started to put on some wight, but of course this episode happened and has lost it all. I wonder if a mix of the pumpkin and dry would be ok for her diet... Hehe, Zuri says the sloppy kisses tickle :lol: !
KiahsMom, I am finding a good nutritional diet for her will be a bit of a challenge, but I am hoping I can go by what isnt broke, dont fix it with the food shes on now. Thanks for the advice and my fingers and Zoes paws are crossed for you!

~WOW~
I have had mixed breed dogs all my life and have never had a breed specific dog! I am finding that even with my research and homework done, careing for Zuri is going to be a bit harder, but to me well worth the work! I am ready with a heart full of love!

Its funny how although I am working in a vet hospital, and see and am very sympathetic to my clients to the situations of their babies, I can never seem to keep my composure with my own babies as I do there!
I cant help myself, I am a huge worry wort when it comes to my children!

Please keep the advice and replies coming as I will keep the updates and photos coming

Ill be posting a few from today shortly!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I add in 1tbsp of Merrick Puppy Plate. Sadie has a sensitive tummy and she has done great with it. Maybe just put in a tbsp once in a while so she doesn't become reliant on it...

Sadie eats so fast too, I'm thinking "Is she breathing?"  :lol:  Good luck and I'm sure you will soon find what works best for your cute little Zuri.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
We are all very happy that little Zuri is improving and that she doesn't have parvo.  You are doing a great job with her and you had better take care of yourself too so you can continue taking care of her.  We want to see more pictures of her too when you get the time.  Take care and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Finding a food that agrees with our babies is sometimes quite challenging. What you may find helpful is to buy the smallest amounts possible until you can determine if it's working or not..I've been very lucky, mine have never had issues with food, on the contrary actually...Angel is the only one that has had any problems at all and they are mild compared to what some people on here have gone thru.

To slow down her eating, you can do a couple things, spread her food out on a cookie sheet, or place a ball in the middle of her bowl. Both are helpful to slow down quick eaters.....

Zuri was a very lucky little girl when you found each other, sounds to me that you are doing everything possible and that is all anyone can ask...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SadiesMomma, Thats an excellent idea and I will give it a try to see how she does! Thank you!
Kate, LOL! Funny you had to remind me to take care of myself bc my fiance said the same. I get stressed so easily when it comes to my babies and I have to remember to clear my head and not get so stressed to the point I get sick myself!
SamsonsMom, I have to agree with SadiesMomma in that is an excellent idea! I will give it a try and see if itll slow her down, I think that her behavior also stems from her ordeal and she is just happy to eat after not eating in 24 hours. We'll see how it goes! Thanks a bunch!

Here Is One Of The Photos From Today!
The rest are in her album dated 9.8 and I should have a bunch more very soon!
Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What a cute picture! Zuri doing the boxer jab at Moses..He's looking like "what in god's name is this and when is it leaving?"... :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Love the pic of Zuri and Moses! So glad she's feeling a bit better. She really is a beautiful girl. Good on you for saving her. I love white boxers so much. It upsets me to hear that some breeders still have them put down.
Our white babies are so precious!

Heather

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay guys I have some bad news...
~SIGH~
Zuri was doing wonderfully until her 12:00PM (Eastern) feeding.
I gave her the mix of rice, hamburg and since this is the third day shes been on it, I mixed in her dry food with it. She ate most of the mix (she was careful to try and avoid the dry food (I really think she hates this food bc its been a constant fight for her to eat it) with no problems.
Her stool has still been soft even with the pumpkin, but I figured since her mood was very good and no vomit, it would harden up soon.
Well anyways, 12:00PM feeding went over well, i took her out to potty and she did and played for awhile.
I had some laundry to do so I brought her back to the yard while I went to switch loads and all of a sudden she began to vomit over and over again. This was only a little more than an hour after she ate.
She stopped to poo and her stool had a little blood in it.
I stayed with her outside until I pretty much vomited up anything left in her tummy.
I took her back in and thought maybe the heat (even though she wasnt outdoors for more that 10 mins and I have the ac on in the house) got to her and made her ill.
She continued to vomit indoors and I could tell she had no food or anything left in her tummy bc it was small amounts of vomit and it was getting white and foamy.
SO.. I gave her another 2cc of the Metoclopramide since I figured she vomited up the medication I gave her at 12:00PM. I also gave her some of the ginger ale cubes I had left in the fridge and gave her a small amount of the gatoraide I had on the side in case she wanted that instead.
I put her on my futon to rest and I put her in a place where she would be cool and comfortable (just in case it was the heat affecting her and not something else).
2 hours ago she woke up and before I could get her out to the yard  to potty (as my practice whenever she wakes up) she blew a watery stool that was so light it was almost as clear as water. I actually thought she was urinating bc she was standing over the puppy pad.
Guys I dunno what caused this latest upset, but it looks like im back to square one and will be taking her to the vets first thing in the morning tomorrow.

She is resting now and I dont think I should try and give her anymore of the Eukanuba, but I would like to try and give her something to eat to see if she can keep it down...
Any suggestions?

Oh Here Are A Few Pics Of Her Just This Morning And As You Can See, She Looked Like SHe Was Truly On The Road To Recovery.... :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shes been so thin since I had her seems everytime i start making progress in putting some weight on her, something goes wrong :cry: ...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that Zuri had an upset today  :(  This may not help tonight, but maybe tomorrow at the vet you could ask about "Rebound" its a puppy nutritional supplement/meal replacement (liquid) and it is great stuff! When Sadie had coccidia we fed her about 1oz 4 times a day on top of her regular meals and she plumped right up. Maybe if Zuri can't keep down solids, you could try the Rebound instead of her meals for a while? I know you can only get it at the vet, so no help to you tonight  :( but I think it's worth asking about tomorrow.

She is looking so cute and playful! Try to keep your spirits up hun, I am sending happy thoughts your way. Big wet kiss from Sadie. Please continue to keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
OMG the pictures are so cute.  I'm sorry to hear she's had a set back and let's hope that's all it is.  I'm only a beginner when it comes to boxers, but the heat could affect her for sure and somethings upsetting her tummy.  As far as foods go, I can only recommend Merrick and Canidae as that is what I feed.  They have not been on the recall list and they scored 127 and 112 respectively on the "How to Grade your Food" list here in the Forum.  Check that out and see what appeals to you and what is in your area.  Good food is a definite plus.  She sure looks like she's having a good time and loving life in her pictures.  Your a great photographer!  She's so boxer!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts