Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Boxer Forum!
I know that most of you arent veterinary doctors, but I am hoping that someone can answer a few questions or give me an opinion on what seems to be clear symptons of parvo, but with some extras that has me scratching my head!
I currently work at a veterinary hospital as a veterinary technician and I know a lot about the virus as well as worked with several dogs that have contracted it.
In our area (south eastern Massachusetts) and possibly in other areas, there has been a huge outbreak of the virus with many hospitals witnessing an unusually high number of pups being confirmed to have the virus.
Of course we have the normal unvaccinated or not vaccinated on time pitbull and pitbull mix cases, but the doctors in my area are starting to think this virus here is a new strain with so many pups showing up with it.
As for Zuri, I have had her for about 2 weeks and in these weeks she did have the occasional soft stool but I associated it with the change in diet and have kept an eye on it.
Last week I did a fecal test for parasites and gave her a general dewormer when the test came up negative.
I know it was foolish of me, but I took Zuri to a park 2 evenings in a row, but kept close eye on her while there.
Yesterday evening Zuri seemed fine but a little tired so we went home. Later that evening, Zuri wet her bed which was very unusual bc I dont think she knew she did, she was out cold sleeping.
I thought it strange, but just cleaned her up and put her back to bed.
Early this morning I found vomit in her crate half in and half out, like she hadnt the strength to even get up out of her crate to vomit. I took her temp and she was warm to the touch and at about 102.7.
Of course I took her to the vet right away.
While there she had very very loose stool with a little blood in it, but no more vomiting.
We took a sample of the stool to be sent out and we gave her a Baytril injection and some Metoclopramide to bring home.
Since her visit this morning, Zuri has had 4cc of the Metoclopramide and just ginger ale ice cubes.
I am worried to death bc her activity is very low and shes done nothing but sleep constant. I know this could also be from the lack or energy associated with lack of food and all.
During the times shes up, she tries to play with her toys and even wags her body, lol, but these moments are short lived.
~WHEW~
I know this is a lot, but I guess I am trying to cover all things.

The things I think are unusual signs of Parvo:

(some of these I forgot to mention to the doctor out of my panic)

-She has had a yellow discharge on a few occasions on her vulva and I have seen her licking herself after urination those times.

-She has not put pressure on her rear left leg and I believe her rough play yesterday with my neighbors dog may be the cause. I have done range of motion on her and she doesnt cry in pain or try to nip me. I do think her pad on that foot is slightly swollen, but it could be paranoia on my part (I mentioned this to the doctor, but obviously his main concern is the parvo right now)

-She hasnt vomitted at all before or since this morning (but that could be bc of the medication surpressing that symptom)

-She has always had an unusual smelling urine (I cant even begin to tell you what it smells like, just that its not normal) and her stool today was very smelly, an obvious symptom of Parvo.

-I noticed in the past two days she seems to either suck on her tongue (not sure bc i have seen babies do it) or either chewing in her sleep. Lasts maybe a few mins at most.

-To me, Zuri has always seemed underweight (but this being my first boxer, not sure) so I have foolishly been giving her more food than I probably shouldve in attempts to fatten her up, or at least get her used to the food change.

I am not a doctor, but I think her sympotms could also be signs of IBS. She hasnt really had a great appetite, bc of the food change, but lately ive been wetting it and warming it a bit and shes been eating well since, I have given her peanut butter twice as a treat and aas recent as yesterday morning. She has been eating rawhide chews (I know, I know NOT a good thing to give to dogs) and I have been careful to notice if she has swallowed any whole parts of it (but how can I be so sure, she is a puppy). Last thing is that my fiance bought some treats for her called Beefy Sirloinz which I have been using to train her and I suspect my fiance couldve been feeding her much more than I would condone behind my back!

OK I think I covered everything!
If I dont get a reply or some ideas, at least I can feel good in being able to vent some.

Thank you everyone, in advance and please continue to send those healing vibes and well wishes for my ill baby Zuri.

Always,
Zuris Mom

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
WOW, you know way more than I ever will about parvo, but one thing either I missed or you didn't say is whether or not Zuri has had any parvo/distemper vaccinations?  I know you are very worried about her, but it sounds like you are doing everything humanly possible for her and will just have to wait for the test results.  Let's just keep positive thoughts that she will be fine.  Maybe's it's just some bug that's going around or she's having problems adjusting to new food.  Keep us posted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kate! I try to stay educated, but no amount of education or information will help me sleep well until I know the results tomorrow!
I am hoping and praying it is not something as serious as parvo or IBS and maybe just upset puppy stomach!:(

Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier....
Zuri\";p=\"29240 said:
Thanks again, MicnIndysMom for the support and comments on her webpage!
I was appalled by the fact the breeder wanted to put her and another white puppy down (sadly I was too late to save her sister)!
Im glad you asked about the vaccines and I was about to edit the entry made in the "Health Concerns" section about it.
The breeder gave me a card with her current vaccines which states shes had Neo Par at 6 weeks and a Vangaurd vaccine at 8 weeks.
Tomorrow was her scheduled booster, and I am hoping against all hope that I wasnt too late in having her booster done sooner.
As often the case in the recent parvo cases we have seen in this area, there is a possibility that there was a failed vaccination (either with incorrect vaccine administration, or the vaccine being left out of refrigeration, etc.)
I cant be too sure, but I am feeling now that I shouldve at least had her boosted last week or as soon as I brought her home:(

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Ok...I know next to nothing about Parvo compared to you...however, I will tell you that when my two came home, we found that Mic in particular (But, Indy as well)doesn't respond well to changes in diet...he can throw up or have a loose stool at what seems like the drop of a hat...and it has been traced back to treats that they got at the coffee shop or bank, or the kids gave them a treat...we used canned pumpkin(not the pie filling, just 100% pure pumpkin) to firm their stools back up and stabalize their little tummies...worked great...since then I have just tried to keep them on a steady diet without much variation...the change over is hard enough...it seems that Mic will always be this way(and one of the other Boxers in our extended family, Max, is the same way...he's 10 and if he got into the puppies food on accident he'd be throwing up and having the runs for days...) also, sleeping alot isn't unusual...especially as young as she is...and she does seem a bit thin to me...but, it's hard to tell...every puppy is so individual...Mic and Indy are little bruts...but, their sister Sophie only weighed in at about 22 pounds to their 30+ pounds...and the vet said she is VERY healthy...just petite...

Did the vet have any concerns about the rawhide? Did he check her tummy? I've heard more then one case of trouble there...also with the greenies...those are possibilities I am sure you have considered!

One more thing...I didn't know that really smelly stools were a sure sign of anything except that poop stinks...and boxers are notorious for passing really bad gas!  8O ...how long will it be before you hear about the test results?  We'll be waiting with you!

Hugs to you both! And tell your bf that he isn't helping by sneaking treats...the bulk of her diet needs to be nutritious and digestible! :lol: Guys are so funny, aren't they? Suckers for little girls of any kind...big moosh balls!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Zuri\";p=\"29242 said:

[quote="Zuri\";p=\"29240":5e25xksy]Thanks again, MicnIndysMom for the support and comments on her webpage!
I was appalled by the fact the breeder wanted to put her and another white puppy down (sadly I was too late to save her sister)!
Im glad you asked about the vaccines and I was about to edit the entry made in the "Health Concerns" section about it.
The breeder gave me a card with her current vaccines which states shes had Neo Par at 6 weeks and a Vangaurd vaccine at 8 weeks.
Tomorrow was her scheduled booster, and I am hoping against all hope that I wasnt too late in having her booster done sooner.
As often the case in the recent parvo cases we have seen in this area, there is a possibility that there was a failed vaccination (either with incorrect vaccine administration, or the vaccine being left out of refrigeration, etc.)
I cant be too sure, but I am feeling now that I shouldve at least had her boosted last week or as soon as I brought her home:(
[/quote:5e25xksy]  

Ohhhh....her sister was put down? OMG...I don't get it...how can people do that???? It makes me sick...OMG...I swear, if I had a big enough house(and no hubby to contend with) I would have a hundred of them just to keep them safe...I'd have taken her sister in a heartbeat(as I know you would have) so sad...why isn't this called animal cruelty? When there is no medical reason for it...it makes no sense.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching to hear how she's doing...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply and info MicnIndysMom!

I have read that boxers in particular have a very sensitive tummies to start!
The more I "talk" this out the more I have noticed with possible factors in her illness i.e. treat at the bank, etc.
I had the pumpkin idea as a number one remedy on my list, but I cannot give her anything for 24 hours under doctors orders.
I will know the results by tomorrow, but some of the things I mentioned above I failed to mention to the vet while there bc of my panic state (you know how you never remember things when you need to, only after the fact) so the rawhide wasnt mentioned, but as mentioned, being that we have had so many parvo cases in this area the doctors first reaction I guess is to rule it out with tests and if shes negative, then we can concentrate on what to do in order to diagnose and reslove the sympotns shes having.
I know sleeping is the norm for puppies, but she has literally been totally wiped out today and it seems just unusually inactive or just no interest in doing anything other than resting, including even going outside to potty (ive kept her in all day and shes been using the puppy pads).
Her wieght had been a huge concern from day one and I was attributing that to her complete boxer stubborness in eating her new food which I had figured out a way to get her to eat it by wetting and warming it a bit for her.
In Parvo cases, the stool odor is unmistakably unpleasant, and being a vet tech and animal lover and owenr for years, I have had my share of smelly poops, hers was beyond that today!
As for my fiance, I swear i could mush him upside his head, lolol :lol: ! Lucky we dont have children yet because we already argue over her, hehe!
I have to train him first in order to train her right, sheesh what a heel they can be sometimes, lol :roll: !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MicnIndysMom";p="29245 said:
[quote="Zuri\";p=\"29242":1sj53vuk]
Ohhhh....her sister was put down? OMG...I don't get it...how can people do that???? It makes me sick...OMG...I swear, if I had a big enough house(and no hubby to contend with) I would have a hundred of them just to keep them safe...I'd have taken her sister in a heartbeat(as I know you would have) so sad...why isn't this called animal cruelty? When there is no medical reason for it...it makes no sense.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching to hear how she's doing...
[/quote:1sj53vuk]
So sad isnt it? I couldnt believe it and the guy actually had the gall to tell me that had I come just 2 hours sooner he wouldve let me take them both, but a min later and I wouldve lost her as well!
I agree it should be considered animal cruelty especially to let them get to age 10 weeks then put them down! :evil:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I really don't have anything else to add but I did want to send out some {{{{healing and get better real fast vibes}}}} to Zuri. Boy, she really is having a rough start at life isn't she? Poor baby... :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks A Bunch Tootsie!
I know, I just feel aweful for her and would readily give a limb and then some to make her feel better!
Chatting here is all I can do to keep from crying bc right now she horrifying to me with all her bones prominant!
She is a fighter though and a great dog and I truely believe she was saved for a reason! Her spirit is much stronger than mine with her frequent kisses and tail wags everytime I check in on her!

A Little Update!

Dunno if it means anything but her temp was normal earlier today (about three hours after the vet visit)... I am looking towards the positives and not the negatives to keep my both our spirits up!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well...let me think of where to start.  First the symptoms you are describing do sound like the ones of Parvo.  They also sound like IBS.  Normally with Parvo the signs will be pretty much in this order:
*My puppy just does not act right, it is not as playful, it just lays around and does not want to eat and drink normal.
*It is vomiting, when it does eat and when it does not.  When it does not have food in the stomach, it is yellow or white foam.
*Loose stool to blowing water stool, normally tar looking in color or with blood and a bad odor.
*Looking dehydrated...lift the skin and it crawls back in place.

You will know when you get the test back...however if the pup has been vaccinated within the last 3 weeks to 24 days the test could show a positive (false) from picking up the vaccination, because it is a live vaccine.

I agree that there is a new strain of parvo.  I have seen more parvo pups in the last 8 months then I have in 12 years.  I have others that I talk with in Texas and they have the same thing going on.

They generally will not eat....it does not matter what you try dog food, human food, pumpkin any of it....

The virus is like the flu to us.  There is no way to "fix it" you have to let it run its time (4 to 10 days ) with the worst of it ending about day 6....You working as a tech are more exposed and have more possibility of bringing it home on you back to your pup.  I am the same way and I vaccinated more then normal amounts for Fiona on Parvo.

Here is my advice:  Start giving GatorAid (lemon-Lime green one) Small amounts if you have a syringe about 2 1/2 cc at a time and make sure she keeps it down.  Centrine for the vomiting and metronidazole for the stool and stomach.  It will cover IBS and Parvo.  Or if she cant take a pill see if you can get some Albon Liquid and mix it half and half with Metronidazole liquid.  Or something along these lines your vet should have.
I have saved many a pup here in the last few months....They can go 3 or 4 days without food but not liquid.  There is also a product called Rebound that vets sell which is the same as Ensure liquid for humans it is good also as a meal replacement.
Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have gotten quite an education about Parvo and it's definitely been good to know....Hoping your Zuri starts feeling better real soon, give that sweetheart a nice hug for me....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I hope Zuri feels better. My last dog had parvo when she was a puppy. her litter mates had died from it because it was very bad. I took her to the vet and ended up having to put her on IV fluids for the dehydration. I agree she can make it through but i learned that fluids are so important for the pup. I hope you and your pup get back good news and all is well. and yea..that breeder was a jerk for what he said to you. there are tons of people that would take in that little boxer no need to put it down.

Donya

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Huge Thank Yous And much appreciation to SharonL, SamsonsMom, Donya And LittleBit!

SharonL, you have given me some peace of mind in your reply to my post!
I will try to list the order of the symptoms as best I can in hopes to shed more light on this issue.

1> Yesterday evenings excursion in the park (and her second visit to the park) between 5 and 6 PM Eastern time, didnt show any thing hugely unusual except she was pooped by the end of her romp (which i figured was normal, but still behavior was noted)

2> Late yesterday evening she urinated on herself in her sleep - noted bc she was sleeping on my futon (and she has never made a mistake as to urinate in her crate or on the futon before and was a faithful user of the puppy training pads which were a few steps away)

3>After cleaning her up and all, I took her out for potty and noticed the limping (which I think is unrelated, but think its important enough to mention)
At that time she just seemed really groggy like someone just woken up from a deep sleep and went directly back to sleep after urinating and deficating - I did not see the stool as it was dark out and my yard isnt well lit.

3>I didnt go to bed until 4AM Eastern time and when i awoke between 7 and 8 AM to take her on a potty break, I saw the vomit. The vomit was bile as it was bright yellow stained on the doggie bed and what she managed to get outside her cage was clear and foamy (against my dark wood floors)

4>I took her temp. right after cleaning her up and noticed she was very warm to the touch and she was at a temp of 102.7. I checked the hydration by her scruff an checked her gums and they were both normal, so I at least knew shes not alarmingly dehydrated.

5>Called the vet around 8:30 to 9:30AM and was there by 9:45 or 10:00AM. She then had the bowel movement in the exam room which was not watery loose, but loose, a light brown color with hints of blood in it.

My doctor has told me to give hernothing but the ginger ale and the Metoclopramide liquid till the results are in. I think I should note that she has never really had a lack for thirst and thankfully has kept it down so far.
Should I try giving her gatoraide?

*Quick Update*
She is up and playing with her toys right now for about an hour or so, and my fiances arrival home from work really seemed to make her perk up! So far the most visible sign of anything wrong with her is her favored paw! Her appetite is of course ravenous, shes literally trying to gnaw on anything right now! I wanna just feed her so badly and had to tell my fiance over and over we cant give her anything to eat :roll: !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
littlebit\";p=\"29286 said:
Have you read anything about Coccidia
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=727

this is one of the web sites I found with a bit of info I haven't never read anything on parvo yet but I am learning as I go and ya'll have been helpful. I sure hope Zuri feels better soon
Thanks a bunch for the link!
I didnt suspect Coccidia because not all of her symptoms fit and of course the large amount of local cases and similarities to her symptoms and those of the virus, parvo was the first thought on my mind.

I should also say that I of course have a higher exposure to it since we have had 3 cases come in the hospital in three weeks, but because of other reasons, was allowed to temporarily forgo any exposure to the patients or even the entire isolation section of the hospital!

WHEW
I feel much better sharing this experience with you all and even moreso knowing that it may be helping to educate more people about what could become some sort of serious national canine epidemic in our country (especially since SharonL confirms my suspicions & rumors of the new strain way out in TX)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If she acts hungry and is not having really bad stools with vomiting it may not be parvo.  Vomiting loose stool and not eating are the three major first signs.  The limping is probably related to playing at the park and unrelated to the other things.  The Gator Aid wont hurt her, but do what your vet said.  Ginger Ale calms the stomach where as Gator Aid rehydrates, but it does not sound as if she is dehydrated at this time.

Also, keep in mind that Parvo has a 10 day to 2 week incubation period so she would not have got it at the park.  It would have been an exposure earlier then that.  

Good luck and let us know.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your quick reply SharonL!
I totally feel better about the park bc it was eating me up inside to know I had directly made her sick in some way by a foolish thing!
still there is no way, the guilt factor was still there.
I just didnt think parvo could ever hit on this fast with no noticable sympotns beforehand. I am talking in a matter of overnight her behavior then the vomit & all happened.
Boy I hope im just being an overactive mother! Ill admit I can get that way about my babies!
I think I will sweat it out with the ginger ale and just continue to stay with her and keep an eagles eye on her!

Ill certainly let you all know once I do....

·
Registered
780 Posts
I sure hope she is feeling better soon.  Poor little thing, she is so sweet looking!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BoxerLove Thanks A Ton!
When going thru her photos, I could easily picture her having a halo above her head in some of the shots, lol!
:p

*Quick Update*

When waking her up to give her her meds & ice cubes, I noticed she had what looked to me like drool on her lips and a little nasal wetness (not awhole lot, kinda like a runny nose?) :?
Temp was as 101.7 and still showing groggy state when put down (still favoring that paw - starting to wonder if this is related?)
and not awhole lot of interest in the cubes.
Left the room and returned with a snack (for myself) and was begged immediately!
Im feeling really aweful not feeding her guys and I know liquids are more important but i feel like im starving her :cry:
I hope noone minds me venting some more, but im just a mom worried sick i guess...
This waiting is torture!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It is SO hard to watch them suffer at ALL...they don't understand and they expect you to be able to fix it...so hard...can you give her pumpkin tomorrow morning? It must be very frustrating! :cry:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts